News

A new home

A new home

June 2017

We have recently moved into our new home at 7 Savoy Court, right next to The Savoy Hotel and above Simpson's-in-the-Strand. 

Vacating our original studio and workshop on Drury Lane, after 36 years, has been an emotional wrench (we have probably been there far longer than any other furniture maker, even than Thomas Chippendale*) but now the company has so much international focus, we need larger premises.

Savoy Court has been the perfect fit. We moved in this May, and aim to have a new showroom area ready in time for an official opening in Autumn 2017.

Some interesting facts about our new location:

• Our neighbour, The Savoy Hotel, was built by Richard D’Oyly Carte in the 1880s (with profits from his productions of Gilbert and Sullivan opera productions) and was the first luxury London hotel. The site was initially the home of Count Peter of Savoy who built the original Savoy palace in 1263, and it is his gilded-bronze statue (sculpted by Frank Lynn-Jenkins in 1904 and mounted on the Art Deco canopy in 1929) that stands directly outside our windows (pictured).

• Savoy Court is the only named street in the UK where vehicles are required to drive on the right, a tradition that dates back to the days of the hackney carriage when a cab driver would reach his arm out of the driver’s door window to open the passenger’s door (which opened backwards and had the handle at the front) without having to get down from the cab.

*When he flourished, there were nearly 200 cabinet-making workshops within Covent Garden, within half a mile of here. He moved to his Covent Garden premises in Conduit Court, off Long Acre, in 1749 and to 60-62 St Martin’s Lane, in 1754. He was born in 1718, died in 1779. Next year will be his tercentenary of his birth.

 







Monthly archive

June 2017

May 2017

April 2017



Yearly archive

2017

2016

2015

2014

2013

2012

2011

2010

2009

2008

2007

2006

2005

2003

2002